Sr. Mechanical Design Engineer – New Posting!
Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
A global technology and manufacturing leader has an opening for an experienced electronics enclosures Automotive Senior Mechanical Design Engineer in the North American Engineering Group of the Automotive Division.
This person will be responsible for the design of components, subassemblies and assemblies for new antenna and wireless products. Typical components include die cast or stamped baseplates, injection molded plastic covers, stamped components, strain reliefs, grommets, seals and fasteners. Candidate will determine design approach, select materials, create solid models of components and assemblies, perform tolerance stack ups, create and check drawings, release drawings, and organize and oversee environmental validation testing.
Responsibilities & Qualifications
- Communicate with customers/sales, work with suppliers and project team to determine design approach.
- Prepare DFMEA.
- Design solid models of components, subassemblies and assemblies
- Select materials and plating’s/ coatings
- Perform FEA stress analysis as needed
- Perform tolerance stack ups, prepare drawings, check drawings.
- Prepare stp, dxf and pdf files for use in 3D and 2D prototype systems.
- Work with supplier partners to secure prototypes and develop production tooling.
- Develop DVP&R. Initiate and supervise validation testing with support from RF/electrical engineer(s)
- Organize design data including imported data, solid models, drawings, and files sent to customer.
- 5+ years’ experience designing components, subassemblies and assemblies for mass production using die casting, injection molding, stamping, die cutting and screw machine processes.
- Excellent GD&T skills, working knowledge of DFMEA.
- Experience specifying materials and platings for castings and stamped sheet metal
- Experience specifying plastic materials for injection molding
- Experience specifying fasteners including screws and adhesive products.
- Experienced, current user of solid modeling software such as Unigraphics, Catia, Pro/E, IDEAS, etc.
- Experience using stress analysis modeling software (e.g. FEA).
- Experience in automotive OEM and/or SAE J1455 environmental validation testing
- Experience working with customers and suppliers.
Preferred skills, knowledge and abilities:
- Experienced user of Unigraphics NX or CATIA.
- Experience designing assemblies with cable entrances that require water sealing to IP67
- Experience designing corrosion-resistant parts for marine applications.
- Experience designing injection molded parts with threads and living hinges.
- Familiarity with antennas is a plus.
- Some experience in using basic shop equipment (drill press, band saw, etc.)
Travel: Occasional travel inside and outside the US may be required.
Degree: BSME or product design and development.
Salary: Base salary and great benefits